Indigenous Advisory Council
The Monash University Indigenous Advisory Council (IAC) is an advisory body to the University which makes recommendations to the Vice-Chancellor and to the University's Vice-Chancellor's Executive Committee (VCEC), and Major Initiatives Implementation and Oversight (MIIO).
The IAC reflects the views of local Indigenous communities and advises Monash in relation to Indigenous programs. Specifically, in relation to Indigenous access, participation and success in education, research and employment. The IAC engages all Faculties and Divisions in the engagement, support and retention of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander staff and students.
The IAC is chaired by Professor Colin Bourke MBE. IAC members have been chosen for their substantial knowledge, experience, and strong links with different Indigenous communities both locally and interstate.
Indigenous Advisory Council
Membership for 2016
- Chair:Professor Colin Bourke
- Deputy Chair: Dr Peter Anderson (Director Indigenous Education and Leadership, Faculty of Education)
- Elder in Residence and Community Liaison: Aunty Diane Singh
- Academic Staff Member: Professor Lynette Russell (Director Monash Indigenous Centre, Faculty of Arts)
- Academic Staff Member: Melissa Castan (Director, Castan Centre for Human Rights, Faculty of Law)
- Academic Staff Member: Associate Professor Karen Adams (Faculty of Medicine, Nursing and Health Sciences)
- Office of the Provost representative: Helen Fletcher-Kennedy (Director, Indigenous Engagement)
- Professional Staff Member: Jason Brailey (Manager Indigenous Programs, Yulendj Indigenous Engagement Unit)
- Office of the Vice President (Administration) representative: Karen Haywood (Director Human Resources)
- Campus Community Division: Vladimir Prpich (Director)
- Student Members: Samantha Hyde and Jayden Crozier (Elected Monash Student Association Indigenous Officers)
- External Member: Jenny Samms (Adjunct, School of Political and Social Inquiry, Faculty of Arts)
- External Member: Rueben Berg (Adjunct, Faculty of Art, Design & Architecture)
- External Member: Lionel Bamblett (Victorian Aboriginal Education Association Incorporated)
- External Member: Angela Singh (Executive Director Koorie Outcomes Division, Department of Education and Training)
- External Member: TBA (Victorian Aboriginal Child Care Agency (VACCA))
- Executive Officer: Inala Cooper (Senior Adviser Indigenous Strategy and Communication, Yulendj Indigenous Engagement Unit)
- Senior personnel and other relevant stakeholders may be invited to provide advice/updates to the Council as needed.
- Faculties and Divsionsare encouraged to seek the Council's advice via the Executive Officer: email@example.com phone 9905 1507.
Meeting dates for 2016
- Monday 29 February
- Monday 16 May
- Monday 29 August
- Monday 21 November
For enquiries please contact:
Director (Acting), Yulendj Indigenous Engagement Unit
Phone: 03 9905 1507